Slata Mechouia, a Tunisian cooked salad, is frequently seen as an accompaniment at Saturday lunch in the Haviv household. It is a combined effort from Marie and Robert; Robert does the roasting and Marie the chopping.
Salat Mechouia - Grilled Capsicum and Tomato Salad
- 3-6 ripe tomatoes
- 2-6 green capsicums Marie always uses a very pale green variety, which I've only seen in Israel
- 4 cloves garlic
- [Optional] 1 fresh chilli
- 1 lemon juice only
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- roast tomatoes and capisums and peel
- add garlic and chilli and chop all together (small)
- add lemon juice, olive oil and salt and mix
Marie used two crossed knives to cut the salad - like scissors.