I love a sweet and sour combination. This recipe is an Asian sweat and sour sauce that I’ve been making forever. Serve on steamed fish and vegetables with rice.
For an American style sweet and sour recipe see my Bone Sucking Sauce.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry (or port)
- 1/3 cups Tomato sauce
- 3/4 cups Malt vinegar (This is quite strong, and a more modest 1/4 cups of white vinegar gives a delicate flavour)
- 4 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Fry ginger and garlic.
- Add soy, sherry, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar and 1.5 cups of water.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of water with the cornflour.
- Use cornflour mix to thicken sauce.