Alison Slade passed this recipe on to me. It came via her daughter Caitlin who was given it by a chef at her catering college. Caitlin used it as part of her entry for a competition where the students had to create a 3 course menu for 2 people for under £10.00. Caitlin won 2 weeks work experience at a top restaurant in Oxford. Over to Alison … measurements are a bit vague. You will have some choux mix left, make them into éclairs for pudding
Chicken liver choux buns with cider and mustard sauce
Ingredients for Choux Pastry
- 100 g Plain Flour
- 100 g Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 175 ml water
- Pinch salt
Ingredients for filling
- 250 G Chicken livers
- 300 ml cider
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 tbls Wholegrain Mustard
- 1 Apple
Instructions for the Choux Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- To make the pastry, place the butter, water and salt into a large saucepan.
- Place over a low heat to melt the butter. Increase the heat and shoot in the flour all in one go.
- Remove from the heat and quickly beat the mixture vigorously until a smooth paste is formed, stirring continuously to dry out the paste.
- Once the paste curls away from the side of the pan, transfer the mixture into a large bowl and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, stirring vigorously until the paste is smooth and glossy.
- Continue adding the egg until you have a soft dropping consistency. It may not be necessary to add all the egg. The mixture will be shiny and smooth and will fall reluctantly from a spoon if it is given a sharp jerk.
- Lightly oil a large baking tray. Dip a teaspoon into some warm water and spoon out a teaspoon of the profiterole mixture. Rub the top of the mixture with a wet finger and spoon on to the baking tray. This ensures a crisper topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown, if too pale they will become soggy when cool.
- Remove from the oven and prick the base of each profiterole. Place onto the baking tray with the hole facing upwards and return to the oven for 5 minutes. The warm air from the oven helps to dry the middle of the profiteroles.
Instructions for the filling
- Dip the chicken livers in flour, pan fry on olive oil until slightly pink, cook more if you want well done
- Remove from pan and keep warm, deglaze the pan, (swill the cider about in the pan 🙂 ), with the cider, add mustard and cream and heat through.
- Core and slice the apple and place on a hot griddle until tender
- Split the choux buns and share out the cooked livers, spoon over the sauce, over and around the choux bun. Put the lid back on serve with the apple slices