Fiona Masters introduced me to stuffed mushrooms a long time ago. She used Cottage Cheese and garlic, with optional Soy Sauce and/or Peanut Butter. Subsequently I went for yellow cheese (cheddar mixed with some parmesan). as it gives more flavour and produces less water. My favourite flavour combination is Tapenade, Dijon Mustard and Fresh Basil.
- 12 medium sized mushrooms with open caps cleaned
- 2 cloves garlic minced (or chopped onion)
- Handful of yellow cheese grated (or cottage cheese or blue cheese)
- 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- Choice of flavour: Tapenade i.e. chopped olives, Mustard, Chopped fresh herbs (Basil, Coriander, Parsley), Soy Sauce,
- Worcestershire Sauce Peanut butter, crushed or ground nuts (walnuts, pine nuts)
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese shavings
- Pull out mushroom stalks.
- Place 2/3 of mushrooms on a greased baking tray, with cups up most.
- Mulch stalks and the remaining 1/3 of the mushrooms.
- Add garlic to mulched mushrooms
- Fry gently until starting to soften.
- Remove from heat
- Mix cheeses, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and chosen flavour with cooked mushroom mixture .
- Fill each of the open mushrooms.
- Bake for 20 min at 200º C (or grill for 5-10 min under hot)
- Garnish the stuffed mushrooms with parmesan.
- Serve immediately