This spice mix is used to flavour both Cajun and Creole dishes, e.g. Gumbo. The recipe makes about 1 cup.
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- At least 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder (or garlic salt)
- 2 tablespoons onion powder (or onion salt)
- [Optional] 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- [Optional] 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Store in a closed jar in a cool, dry place. Best used within a month.
Kelly, D. (1993). Creole and Cajun Cooking. Australia: Ken Fin Books.
Passmore, J. (1992). Step-by-Step Cajun Cooking. Sydney: Murdoch Books.