We’re rather fond of Macaroons in our family.
Chocolate Macaroons (Macarons Creoles)
- 150 grams bittersweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup 140 g almonds, toasted and ground
- 3/4 cup 150 g sugar
- 50 grams bittersweet chocolate.
- 2 tablespoons crème fraiche or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 135º C
- Melt 100 grams chocolate with vanilla over very low heat
- In the bowl of an electric mixer on slow speed, mix egg whites, almonds and sugar until well blended.
- With the machine still running, add the melted chocolate mixture.
- Continue beating until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon the batter onto a greased baking sheet, allowing 1 headed tablespoon of batter for each macaroon.
- Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or just until the macaroons are set. They should be slightly firm but not dry.
- Transfer to a rack to cool. Meanwhile prepare the filling.
- Melt 50 grams chocolate over very low heat.
- Add crème fraiche to melted chocolate for filling.
- Stir until well blended.
- When the macaroons and the filling have cooled, spread a heaped teaspoon of the filling on half the macraroons.
- Cover each with a second macaroon, making a sort of sandwich.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 10 to 12 filled macaroons. Adapted from Patricia Wells “Food Lover’s Guide to Paris”