Galit decided to put on a vegetarian Mexican dinner party. Bean burritos are a standard at our home but we wanted something extra. These empanadas have a creamy, sweet and salty filling. There is a bit of work in the pastry but it has a great texture and flavour – exactly what I want.
Empanadas de Choclo: Sweet Corn and Cheese Pasties
Ingredients for pastry
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 250 grams butter chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 30 grams extra butter
- 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
Ingredients for filling
- 440 ml can of whole corn kernels
- 70 ml cream cheese or sour cream
- 70 grams feta crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Instructions for pastry
- Sift the flour into a bowl
- Chopped the butter on top
- Mix flour and butter until resemble bread crumbs (kitchen aid on 2 for 45 seconds)
- Add egg and water
- Mix until dough comes together (kitchen aid on 2 for 15 seconds)
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth - don't let it become too sticky
- Divide the dough into three equal portions
- Roll out each portion of dough into a 20cm x 20cm square
- Spread the extra butter over two of the rolled out dough squares (not the third)
- Stack the dough squares with the unbuttered square on top
- Roll out the dough again so the layers merge
Instructions for filling
- Blend 2/3 of the contents of the can of whole corn kernels
- Mix together creamed corn, whole corn, cream cheese or sour cream, spices and salt and pepper.
Instructions for assembly
- Preheat oven to 200º C
- Cut the dough into small discs, about 9-12 cm (4-5 inches) in diameter.
- Fill each disc with about 2 teaspoons of filling.
- Fold over each disc to create a half-moon and use a fork to pinch dough shut.
- Place the filled half-moons on a baking tray (greased or lined with a sheet of baking paper)
- Brush with egg yolk
- Bake at 200º C until puffed and starting to turn golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let cool a little on cookie sheet.